The AfriNIC Business Plan V.0

Hello All!!

As a follow up to my posting yesterday..I am attaching the original
bare-bones version of the AfriNIC Business Plan V.0 put together by a
group of 'can't-wait-anymore' grassroot operators.

This as I stated in my mail has been passed on to the Chairman of the
AfriNIC BOT which was circulated to the members of the AfriNIC Board...

You may recalled that the Business Committee responded (re Theo Kramer's
mail) to my mail yesterday that they recieved a copy and using it as the
core of what they promised to release as per the Plan by 4th Oct. I hope
they are not going to come out with another draft...we've had enough of
that...

Best rdgs

Clement

     AfriNIC Corporate Business Plan V.0  (Bare-Bones Version)

----------------
1.0 Introduction
----------------

AfriNIC an Address Registry the overall strategy is to start service
with same quality and price as is pertained in other operating RIRs with
the
intention to explore ways to provide cheaper quality service.

In order to allow training and effective initial operations, the
incubation
of AfriNIC is proposed to start at RIPE headquarters. AfriNIC develops
the
service for existing LIRs located in the region AfriNIC covers. An
important
element of the  corporate plan  to start incubation of AfriNIC technical
operations as quickly and earn revenues.

The reasons the price needs to stay this high initially are:

  o it will start in amsterdam, i.e. have the same cost structure
  o expenses for the crew to visit home, attend ripe meetings, etc
  o overhead costs, manager, systems, ... amortized over fewer lirs
  o cost of local african meetings not amortized over rich folk as ripe
is
  o it will need to build a cushion

The AfriNIC corporate plan will be reviewed at the end of the first year
when
precise costs and membership/service revenues from the continent are
better
understood. In addition to picking up existing African LIRs obtaining
service from RIPE, AfriNIC will also develop additional members from the
list of endorsements made at Accra AfriNIC meeting. Ways of reducing the
costs of service, including consideration for smaller allocations to
reach
more members are being sought.

---------------
2.0 Objectives
---------------

Full AfriNIC function of address allocations will be realized in the
first
three years of operation during which  several technical staff would be
trained, operations incubated and migrated to destination host country.
During this period multilingual training centers for AfriNIC LIRs will
be
established and a host of helper hostmasters will be trained. Senior
technical resources will also be identified and included in the
management
of AfriNIC as well as their participation in ASO technical policy
development.

AfriNIC
services. expenditure will comprise technical and administrative staff,
office space, equipment and connectivity. AfriNIC is negotiating with
ripe on services to be provided during the incubation period. The host
country is also expected to provide some of these services at the
permanent location of AfriNIC.

3.1 Revenues

			Yr1	    Yr2   	Yr3
Sponsorship
multilateral   		20000 	    30000 	35000
OtherS   		5000         12000      15000

3.2 Subscriptions

			Yr1	    Yr2   	Yr3
RIPE subs   		70000 	   100000      125000
Members   		30000      50000       80000

Total revenues          125000     192000      255000

3.3  Expenditure

			Yr1	    Yr2   	Yr3
Office   		0 	     0 		0
Connectivity    	0     	    15000  	20000
Tech staff     		60000       90000 	120000
Mgt staff      		25000       50000 	75000
Meetings       		30000       30000 	35000

Total expenditures   	115000      185000 	250000

Total reserves  6200    10000   7000 5000  	28200

-----------------------
4.0 Human Resource Plan
-----------------------

 - select a manager to put it all together, negotiate, plan, deal with
business issues and organizing the operations in cooperation with ripe.

- select 2 for training at ripe

- look for opportunities for further training from arin, apnic
scholarships

- train 10 people at lome afnog workshop in march as helpers

Headcount

			Yr1	    Yr2      Yr3
Skills
Snr tech      		1          2          2
Tech          		1          1          2
Admin         		0          1          2
Exec          		1          1          1

Total         		3          5          7

------------------------------------
5.0 Marketing and Communication Plan
------------------------------------

- target operators
- membership drives
- adapt services eg smaller allocation policies
- meetings
    o 1XAGM
    o 1Xmidyear BoT meeting
    o 1X outreach meetings per year
    o colocate an AfriNIC meeting with Afnog workshop, more to get
consensus
among operators on issues and to expose folk in various regions.

-------------------
6.0 Technical Plan
------------------

- setup the services at ripe and do the registrations for african LIR's
    o january 1, 2002

-  Start setting up equipment and Internet connection and start
migrating
the database and services to host country
    o december 15, 2003

- Members are invited to annual general meetings
typically co-located with afnog events to gain access to the operators
who
attend the workshop and conference. AfriNIC communicates with
prospective members
and the Internet Community via Afrinic lists and website.

-----------------------------
7.0 Policy and Operation Plan

- afrinic address policy has been agreed in working groups and will be
used
in providing services while at ripe. proposals for change in the policy
would come from workings groups and consensus of the members.

- adopt RIPE Membership Agreement

- Utilize RIPE Membership Charging Scheme

- use the agreed afrinic financial model to evolve from the RIPE model

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org