[afnog] Network Monitoring Tools

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:32:35 UTC 2012

Hello David i don't think there is all in one solution to handle all this,
unless you want to go the proprietary way.

Below are a few tools that could help:

Availability logging/monitoring --- Nagios
Bandwidth monitoring:  Cacti
User Destination Logging: Ntop

Cheers!
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM, david aliata <aliatadavid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I would like some advice on free monitoring tools that you are using to
> monitor your WAN.Specifically,I have several sites whose internet
> connections is terminated on Cisco ASA
>
> 5510,Cisco 1941/1841,Catalyst Switches and Cisco AP's.I would like to be
> able to capture traffic from this sites and analyze this so that i can
> determine
>
>                                                         I.            Who
> are our Top Talkers and who are they "talking" to in this sites
>
>                                                         II.          What
> websites are routinely being visited and what is being downloaded
>
>                                                       III.          If
> there are any  signs of rogue network applications or malicious activity
> on the network
>
>                                                      IV.            Determine
> Top applications in use in a particular site and bandwidth requirements
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.
>

> Regards!
>
> Aliata D.
> "I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or
> the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the
> brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all".
> Ecclesiastes 9:11
>
> --
> Regards!
>
> Aliata D.
> "I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or
> the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the
> brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all".
> Ecclesiastes 9:11

*Seun Ojedeji,
Federal University Oye-Ekiti
web:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng