[afnog] RE: how is the switch

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Wed Jun 1 15:58:55 EAT 2005

Brian Candler wrote:
>>>I do not have a Unix system unless if Linux RedHat 7.3 will do.
>

> I think it will probably have a tftp server, but that's a really old
> distribution, and it's a long time since I've used Linux anyway. Have a look
> in /etc/inetd.conf to see if there's a tftpd entry.

Red Hat 7.3 has tftp server and client versions 0.28-2
included. They're available here as well:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS

>  Debian and
> Gentoo are perhaps the best-known "free" choices, given that Mandrake and
> SuSE could follow the Red Hat lead and go commercial at any stage in the
> future. However, neither Debian nor Gentoo uses RPM for packaging, so you'll
> have to learn the different admin tools.

If you consider Debian a new version (Debian 3.1, known as
"Sarge") is set for release June 6th. This is a major
upgrade to Debian and includes a current version of the
Linux Kernel. As Brian has noted, Debian uses its own
packaging tool.

> (2) What applications are you going to use? How are you going to configure
> them? The AfNOG workshop notes may help here. http://www.ws.afnog.org/

 From your email you state:

> I have the following services currently running;
>
> 	Windows 2003 server 1: Active Directory Services, DHCP, Exchange
> 5.5 which does not mount the store automatically when the server
> crushes.
> 	Windows 2003 server 2: ISA Proxy 2004, ISA Firewall, Gateway
> 	Windows 2000, Multimedia Streaming server running computer based
> training software.

Current versions of Samba (http://www.samba.org/) can
provide most Active Directory services under Unix/Linux.
Setup can be complex depending on the complexity of your
environment, but if you are paying for access licenses you
would not need to if you use Samba.

There are several Open Source Exchange replacement servers
available. If you are using the no-busy calendaring function
of Exchange this can be hard to replicate as well as the
Exchange web interface, but the rest of the Exchange
functionality can be replaced using free or less-expensive
Linux/Unix-based tools. One such project is located here:

http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

Commercial Exchange Server replacements for Linux/Unix include:

http://www.bynari.net/
http://www.stalker.com/CommuniGatePro/
http://www.novell.com/products/openexchange/

if you are paying for Exchange these solutions have lower
licensing costs.

If you are streaming Windows media files (asf) I am not
aware of a Linux/Unix replacement for this. If you are
streaming other video (mpeg, RealPlayer), there are
Linux/Unix solutions.

Best of luck with the migration process.

Sincerely,
	- Hervey Allen