[afnog] Africa Regional ccTLD (AfTLD) Representative

Nii N. Quaynor quaynor at ghana.com
Sat Jun 18 16:41:44 EAT 2005

ccNSO PDP - Request to appoint Africa regional representative

The Election for the Africa Regional ccTLD (AfTLD) Representative to the
ccNSO was announced on June 10, 2005 with the attached election process. The
short notice and the early stages of development of AfTLD organization posed
challenges of processs and implementation however the election committee has
verified the votes, eliminated duplicates, and rejected some votes. The
committee has ensured that ample opportunity was also given to all
interested to express their views and to elect a representative.

The committee is satisfied that the elections have produced a good regional
representative to the ccNSO.

Two candidates emerged at the end of the nomination process:

Ali Drissa BADIEL (.BF)
Michuki Mwangi (.KE)

There was discussion with the candidates on the AfTLD list on various
topics. In the end, a total of 17 valid votes were cast and 3 votes were
rejected by the election committee.

The results are:

Ali Drissa BADIEL (.BF)	14
Michuki Mwangi (.KE)	2
Abstention		1

Ali Drissa BADIEL has been elected as the Africa Regional ccTLD (AfTLD)
Representative to the ccNSO council.

As we congratulate Ali Drissa BADIEL (.BF) for his success in the election
we also urge him to provide leadership to build a stronger AfTLD regional
organization. We trust that BADIEL will also endeavor to articulate the
issues and interests of Africa’s cc operators in other Internet Governance
fora including the upcoming WSIS in Tunis.

The committee also congratulates all who participated in the process
especially the candidates Michuki Mwangi and Ali Drissa BADIEL, the members
of AfTLD who asked questions and finally voted.

On Behalf of AfTLD Election Committee

Election Committee:
Yann Kwok
Brian Longwe
Nii Quaynor (chair)
Pierre Ouedraogo
Paulos Nyirenda

======================ELECTION ANNOUNCEMENT===================.

Dear ccTLD community in Africa,

The African ccTLD community (AfTLD)is voting to appoint a representative to
the ccNSO council. The process to be followed is described below. We
anticipate your participation and wish you every success.

On behalf of the Election Committee of AfTLD
Nii Quaynor

----------------------
AfTLD Election Process
June  10, 2005

Election Committee:
Yann Kwok
Brian Longwe
Nii Quaynor (chair)
Pierre Ouedraogo
Paulos Nyirenda

Eligible voters:
ccTLD admin
ccTLD tech

Candidates are required to send their resumes, an endorsement from another
country ccTLD and their response to the questionnaire attached, to the aftld-

members at lists.aftld.org, to have a complete nomination

Schedule:
Announcement of elections (call for nominations)
June 10, 2005.

close of nominations     23:59 gmt on 2005.06.13, monday evening
discuss until            23:59 gmt on 2005.06.15, wednesday evening
vote until               23:59 gmt on 2005.06.17, friday evening

The nominees will be announced at close of nominations. Voters may vote for
only one candidate by email to voteaftld at psg.com

The results will be communicated to AfTLD, ccNSO, AfNOG, ccTLDs and the
public

Questions to Candidates:

1. why is AfTLD important to African ccTLD operators and what are the most
important benefits of AfTLD to the registry operator
2. why is AfTLD important to the USERS and what are the benefits to
USERS?
3. what do you intend to achieve while serving as the liason to ccnso
council
4. what are some of the difficulties of African ccTLDs

--
Ghana.com Services (http://webmail.ghana.com)