[afnog] uninstalling majordomo

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed May 10 15:49:07 EAT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 01:45:57PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> [Isn't it an OPERATOR mailing list? It sometimes gets dangerously (?)
> close to a Linux newbie mailing list.]

Maybe, but I think that:

1. It's reasonable for the Afnog mailing list to be a forum where network
operators in Africa can help each other, even if the problems they come
across are more basic than you might find elsewhere.

2. In many African networks there is not a large "network" team separate
from a large "system administrator" team - one person has to do both jobs.

3. The Afnog list has traditionally included people running small networks,
within universities for example, perhaps down to the level of a single LAN.
Such people are not "network operators" in the NANOG IP-transit sense, but
they are still considered part of the African networking community.

I think the Afnog community is still small enough that it's not being
swamped by these sorts of requests. One day, when there are large numbers of
big transit providers in Africa, then they can have a separate list and talk
about BGP all day :-)

Regards,

Brian.