[afnog] VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Fri May 26 10:37:08 EAT 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 10:19, Bruce Zamaere wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem configuring vlans on a cisco 2950.
> I'm trying to achieve the following and don't know if I done it
> correctly.
<snip>

the entire show running-config would have been more useful as well as
show vlan

> The interesting part is that the vlan configuration shows all the
> vlans except vlan1 in shutdown mode. If I bring up a vlan with the
> no shut command the vlan in question comes up and vlan1
> automatically shutsdown. Such being the case I can't seem to get
> more than 1 vlan to be up at a time. Does anyone know why this is
> the case and how I can get around it?
<snip>

Well I run into this in Nairobi, two things to check are
1. make sure you have assigned an IP address to each vlan
2. after that, just do the usual ping tests to see if the vlans are
working.

Apparently the VLAN which is "not shutdown" is the only one through
which you can reach the actual switch (via the vlan IP). AND,
apparently only one of them can be "reachable" at a time. (unless
there's a no cisco-bs command for this that I don't know of).

If the pings show that the ports are correctly isolated and if you can
ping/telnet/whatever to the IP of the VLAN which is currently up then
don't worry about the "administratively down" status of the VLANs.

--
patrick