[afnog] VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Fri May 26 11:16:50 EAT 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 09:19, Bruce Zamaere wrote:
> Guys,

Hi Bruce.

> The interesting part is that the vlan configuration shows all
> the vlans except vlan1 in shutdown mode. If I bring up a vlan
> with the no shut command the vlan in question comes up and
> vlan1 automatically shutsdown. Such being the case I can't
> seem to get more than 1 vlan to be up at a time. Does anyone
> know why this is the case and how I can get around it?

That's because, AFAIK, you can only have one management VLAN
available on this switch, the default being VLAN 1.

My recommendation would be to assign the switch an IP address
from the VLAN "you", the administrator, will be working from on
a daily basis, even if that VLAN isn't VLAN 1.

However, should you try to access/manage the switch from a
different VLAN, the router you are trunking to will provide you
that access.

Hope this helps.