[afnog] VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Fri May 26 11:54:31 EAT 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 10:29, Patrick Okui wrote:

> each VLAN on the switch. Effectively we had to do an
> int vlan blah
> ip address 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.8

Hmmh, that's not really necessary. It's only important to assign
one IP address to one VLAN interface, typically, the
one/backbone from which you will be running daily maintenance
routines.

It's not that necessary to have a VLAN interface for each
configured VLAN on a(n IOS) switch.

> short of that and the switch would *not* trunk the traffic
> from that VLAN over the trunk port(s). crazy no?

Which switch-IOS version combination were you running when you
faced this problem.

Ordinarily, in IOS, a switch will fail to trunk ports from
another VLAN if that VLAN is not explicitly defined in the VLAN
database (hence the need for VTP if you have multiple switches).
However, the switch (if the VLAN database is properly populated)
will still trunk ports even though a corresponding VLAN
interface is not explicitly defined.

In addition, if ALL switch ports are in a VLAN and none of those
VLANs is VLAN 1, your management VLAN interface will have to be
from one of the configured VLANs on the switch - and you'll only
need that one to manage the switch.

A VLAN interface is generally needed to manage the switch
(telnet, ssh, snmp, e.t.c.), and is not a pre-requisite for
Layer 2 functionality of the switch.

I can confirm this configuration on desktop switches including
2924XL, 2950-T and 3750-TS, all running IOS's released this
year.

Cheers,