[afnog] VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950

Bruce Zamaere bzamaere at gmail.com
Fri May 26 14:46:24 EAT 2006

Guys,

I can't do "switchport trunk encapsulate dot1q" on my switch

"switchport trunk ?" doesn't list encapsulate as an option.

I'm running 12.1(13) IOS on a catalyst 2950 Series. Further to this I
still don't seem to get this working too! I've tried everything I can
think of but naah! just doesn't seem to work! The frustration is that
I have managed to get this to work before using HP Switches. Ok now
here's a really dumb question.

If I am on the switch through a console cable. I have set up ip on
each vlan interface why can I ping interfaces on the same switch? I
thought this would be ideal for troubleshooting purposes. How does the
IOS actually use the VLAN interfaces if they are shutdown? I find this
a bit confusing to be honest.

Finally is there a way to trick or to force the IOS to bring up more
that one VLAN at once? I noted 2 or three other people had asked a
similar question on posts on the net but the question wasn't
satifactorily answered. I'm asking this cause on some cisco vlan
configs I came across the "no shutdown" command was issued on the vlan
interfaces. Is the problem I am facing just a Catalyst 2950 problem???