[afnog] [afren] Abuja LOC says Thank You All

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Wed May 9 14:41:57 UTC 2007

omolo at egerton.ac.ke wrote:
> All
>
> I have a network running windows systems. At the moment, I run a PDC on
> windows and use samba to connect for proxy authentication. Now I want all
> servers to be UNIX / LINUX as I remain with some computers having windows.
> Tell me, how is that possible? And what about migrating users' profiles
> currently on a Windows 2003 Server? Help??
>
> Richard

Hello Richard - It's probably possible. You'll need to do some
digging with Samba version 3 to verify that the PDC functionality
you are using with your Windows clients can be replicated 100%.
Chances are yes. Then there are tools to migrate profiles as well.

Using Samba, 2nd Edition by O'Reilly is available in it's entirety here:

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html

The 3rd edition of this book will be released shortly for free.

John Terpstra is one of the original Samba Team members (he helped
to reverse engineer the Microsoft protocols). John has written two
books that are excellent and he has made the available for free in
both PDF and HTML formats.

The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-HOWTO/
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf

And, the newly released Samba-3 by Example
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

I am guessing that with these resources you should be able to
formulate a plan of attack for replicating your PDC and migrating
user profiles. If you do manage to do this can you let us know? Any
feedback on the freely available materials would be great as well. I
can pass this back to the author (Mr. Terpstra) directly as I used
to work with him.

Cheers and good luck,
	- Hervey