[afnog] HOW can I stop outgoing spam

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Sep 27 09:06:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:51:44AM +0300,
 saleh ali <saleh.shihab at live.com> wrote
 a message of 52 lines which said:

> I have an Email server in my organization and this server send an
> outbound spam and this action make my email server act as spammer
> and alto of Outside email server like hotmail.com,...,etc add my
> server to black list.

You first need to check the logs of the email server (general sysadmin
rule: first, read the logs). You will find out whether the email
server sends spam itself (because it has been compromised) or whether
it is just used as a relay, by outside machines (if you leaved the
server open) or by inside machines (and you will get their IP
addresses in the log, so you can chase after them and kill them).

Warning: this is complicated work and should be done by a senior
sysadmin, not by a beginner.