Re: DNS

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 07:43:30PM +0300, ksemat at eahd.or.ug wrote:
> eahd.or.ug. IN SOA eahd.or.ug. postmaster.eahd.or.ug.
>                                ( SOA values )
> eahd.or.ug. IN NS eahd.or.ug.
>             IN NS pop.nsrc.org.
> ;adresses for canonical names
> eahd.or.ug. IN A 216.129.132.208
> wawa        IN A 216.129.132.164
> alpha       IN A 216.129.132.208
> ;aliases
> www IN CNAME eahd.or.ug.
> webmail IN CNAME wawa.eahd.or.ug.
> ;mail exchangers
> eahd.or.ug. IN MX 5 wawa.eahd.or.ug.
>             IN MX 20 pop.nsrc.org.
> alpha.eahd.or.ug IN MX 10alpha.eahd.or.ug.

Looks OK. Can you post your named.conf? (or mail it privately)

> Incidentally when I restart the server I don't get any error messages
> and the server works fine for about 20 minutes and after that it stops.

Hmm. Any evidence why it stops? Core dump file? What sort of machine is it?
Have you upgraded to the latest bind? Are you sure you haven't been hacked?
(Some old versions of bind had big security holes which were widely
exploited across the Internet)

It may be worth reinstalling this machine from scratch.

It might also be a hardware problem. Do you ever see "signal 11 -
segmentation violation" when the machine is busy, e.g. compiling a large
piece of code? This usually indicates a RAM fault.

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
To send a requet to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put

This list is mantained by owner-afnog at afnog.org