Re: DNS

Recursion has been on until this morning when I turned it off this was
because most of the zones for whom I am primary are using my IP
so I was told that the name server may be timing out because it can not
reverse resolve those IPs. So it keeps timing out on queries concerning
them and thus the rest suffers too. So I turned off recursive queries.
Interestingly this action seemed to make it live slightly longer though it
still dies but after some time of timing out I sometimes query it and it
responds. For example right now if you query it it is running but a little
while later one queries it and fails to get a response and when I restart
it I manage to use it.
 On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Brian
Candler wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:05:34 +0100
> From: Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com>
> To: ksemat at eahd.or.ug
> Cc: afnog at afnog.org
> Subject: Re: DNS
>
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 09:07:42PM +0300, ksemat at eahd.or.ug wrote:
> > options {
> > 	directory "/var/named";
> > 	recursion no;
> > 	# list of DNS servers to ask
> > 	forwarders {
> >                 128.223.32.35;
> >                 216.129.132.164;
> >                 216.129.132.1;
> > 	};
>
> This is a slightly unusual configuration. You have told your nameserver
> explicitly that it _cannot_ be a normal recursive cache. Instead, it must
> send all its queries to those three nameservers (the first of which appears
> to be in Oregon, which is less than optimal).
>
> However I've tested all three, and they all seem to be able to answer
> queries.
>
> Someone with a more detailed knowledge of using BIND in the above manner may
> be able to help you - but in the first instance I'd try setting
> "recursion yes;"
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Sematimba Noah