Re: DNS

Try debugging your DNS by sending your named the signal
SIGUSR1 and checking the file created in /var/tmp/named.run you
can then turn off debugging by sending it the SIGUSR2 signal.

> Recursion has been on until this morning when I turned it off this was
> because most of the zones for whom I am primary are using my IP so I
> was told that the name server may be timing out because it can not
> reverse resolve those IPs. So it keeps timing out on queries
> concerning them and thus the rest suffers too. So I turned off
> recursive queries. Interestingly this action seemed to make it live
> slightly longer though it still dies but after some time of timing out
> I sometimes query it and it responds. For example right now if you
> query it it is running but a little while later one queries it and
> fails to get a response and when I restart it I manage to use it.
>  On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Brian
> Candler wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:05:34 +0100
> > From: Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com>
> > To: ksemat at eahd.or.ug
> > Cc: afnog at afnog.org
> > Subject: Re: DNS
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 09:07:42PM +0300, ksemat at eahd.or.ug wrote:
> > > options {
> > > 	directory "/var/named";
> > > 	recursion no;
> > > 	# list of DNS servers to ask
> > > 	forwarders {
> > >                 128.223.32.35;
> > >                 216.129.132.164;
> > >                 216.129.132.1;
> > > 	};
> >
> > This is a slightly unusual configuration. You have told your
> > nameserver explicitly that it _cannot_ be a normal recursive cache.
> > Instead, it must send all its queries to those three nameservers
> > (the first of which appears to be in Oregon, which is less than
> > optimal).
> >
> > However I've tested all three, and they all seem to be able to
> > answer queries.
> >
> > Someone with a more detailed knowledge of using BIND in the above
> > manner may be able to help you - but in the first instance I'd try
> > setting "recursion yes;"
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Brian.
> >

> Sematimba Noah
> Network Administrator
> Uganda Online
>
> To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
> To send a requet to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put your
> request in the body of the message (i.e use "help" for help)
>
> This list is mantained by owner-afnog at afnog.org

Antonio Godinho
B.Sc., MCP, MCP+Internet, MCSE
Address:Av. Julius Nyerere 947 3rd floor esq
Maputo - Mozambique
Phone  : 258-1-490860
e-mail : ANTONIO at nambu.uem.mz

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org