Re: DNS

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 04:52:08PM +0300, ksemat at eahd.or.ug wrote:
> I read about delegating single IPs in O'Reilly's DNS AND BIND on page 215
> and I think with CIDR it can be done.

To delegate single IP addresses, you would need:

zone "208.132.129.216.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "master/db.216.129.132.208";
};

and repeat this for every single IP address you have; each one would have
its own zone file, which would contain:
 at   SOA  ( ... )
   NS   ...
   NS   ...
   PTR  required.host.name.

What makes this a real pain is that you have to set up secondary zones on
another machine, one for every single IP address you want to do in this way.

That's why the CNAME trick is suggested (also in DNS&BIND, 3rd ed, p217)

If you only have one or two machines, I think you're better just getting
your upstream to put the appropriate PTR records directly in the zone for
the /24.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org