Re: multi-homed,masquerading

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 11:57:26AM +0300, ksemat at wawa.eahd.or.ug wrote:
> Freebsd does not have ipchains rather ipfw and the syntax seems to be
> different. I would like to get some links on where I could read about the
> syntax for ipfw or even better where to get ipchains for BSD.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/firewalls.html
and of course, 'man ipfw'

If you are using Linux's IP masquerading functionality to hide private IP
addresses, then you need to look at 'natd' to do that for you; there is some
info on that here:
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html

You can't get ipchains for BSD. Linux keeps changing its firewalling syntax
anyway (first it had ipfw, then ipfwadm, then ipchains, and now iptables).

> Secondly I have acquired another link from another upstream and would like
> to be multi-homed and thus would like some advice on the set up. Here is
> my set up right now:
> I have a uni-24 antennae from breezecom that is connected to a 4 port
> Pro.11 also from breezecom. Each of these ports connects directly via UTP
> to a linux machine. Now for redundancy we have acquired another link from
> a different provider which has similar equipment except that the radio
> unit is an SA pro.11 with one port which I have connected to the Freebsd
> machine I mentioned earlier. Now my question is how do I set this up such
> that the two links back each other up would I use something like piranha
> or use a router? And can I get directions on setting up the topology of
> the network?

Do you have a separate IP block from each upstream provider? How many
machines are on each block?

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org