Wireless LAN

I am working with LINGO Net, which is currently working on providing e-mail
service to the NGO community in Liberia. We have a basic system in operation
operation, with a FreeBSD server that exchanges mail via dial-up UUCP to
NSRC in the US. Users access the server via dial-up PPP and mail client
software.

One of our major limitations is the local phone system. At the moment we
only have one phone line into the server, which is used for both user
access, and for the UUCP dial-in access. It is not likely that we will be
able to get another telco line. The quality of the telco lines here is
extremely poor, and the international lines are very limited.

So, what seems to make the most sense for us to go to a wireless/radio LAN
system. The vast majority of our potential clients are within 2 miles of us.

We have several questions that we were hoping you could help with:

1. What are the options available in wireless systems?

2. What is the configuration of a typical system? (Most of our clients use
standalone computers, but there are a few networked offices.)

3. What are the general specs of the transceivers - frequency range,
modulation, power output, power requirements, antenna configuration, etc.

4. Do you have any recommendations of manufacturers?

5. What are the costs of the various components of a system?

Thank you for any advice, experience, and suggestions you can offer.

Greg Kintz

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
To send a requet to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put

This list is mantained by owner-afnog at afnog.org