Re: freebsd and sparc

<http://www.netbsd.org/>

> Also how similar is it to FreeBSD

same parents and they grew up together.  freebsd, netbsd, openbsd, and bsdi
(now merging with freebsd) are all directly derived from the bsd (like from
berkeley) 4.4 bsdlite.  see

    <ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/share/misc/bsd-family-tree>

part of which i will append.

> would you recommend that I take that option or use redhat?

netbsd for sure.  unless of course you need some particular card only
supported on linux, some unix other than *bsd, ...

randy

---

The Unix system family tree / BSD history chart

First Edition (V1)

Second Edition (V2)

Third Edition (V3)

Fourth Edition (V4)

Fifth Edition (V5)

Sixth Edition (V6) -----*
       \                |
        \               |
         \              |
Seventh Edition (V7)    |
            \           |
             \        1BSD
             32V        |
               \      2BSD---------------*
                \    /                   |
                 \  /                    |
                  \/                     |
                 3BSD                    |
                  |                      |
               4.0BSD               2.7.9BSD
                  |                      |
       *------ 4.1BSD --------------> 2.8BSD
      /           |                      |
Eighth Edition     |                 2.8.1BSD
     |            |                      |
     |        4.1aBSD -----------\       |
     |            |                \     |
     |        4.1bBSD                \   |
     |            |                    \ |
     |        4.1cBSD --------------> 2.9BSD
     |            |                      |
     |            |                   2.9BSD-Seismo
     |            |                      |
     +----<--- 4.2BSD               2.9.1BSD
     |            |                      |
     +----<--- 4.3BSD -------------> 2.10BSD
     |            |               /      |
Ninth Edition     |              / 2.10.1BSD
     |         4.3BSD Tahoe-----+        |
     |            |              \       |
     |            |                \     |
     v            |                  2.11BSD
Tenth Edition     |                      |
                  |                  2.11BSD rev #366
               4.3BSD NET/1              |
               4.3BSD Reno

   *---------- 4.3BSD NET/2 -------------------+-------------*
   |                    |                      |             |
386BSD 0.0              |                      |             |
   |                    |                      |             |
386BSD 0.1 ------------>+                      |           BSDI 1.0
   |     \              |                  4.4BSD Alpha      |
   |     386BSD 1.0     |                      |             |
   |                    |                  4.4BSD            |
   |                    |                    / |             |
   |                    |   4.4BSD-Encumbered  |             |
   |                 NetBSD 0.8                |             |
   |                    |                      |             |
FreeBSD 1.0          NetBSD 0.9                |             |
   |                    |           .----- 4.4BSD Lite --> BSDI 2.0
FreeBSD 1.1             |          /   /       |             |
FreeBSD 1.1.5       .---|--------'   /         |             |
   |               /    |           /      4.4BSD Lite2 -> BSDI 2.1
FreeBSD 1.1.5.1   /     |          /      /    |    | \      |
   |             /   NetBSD 1.0 <-'      /     |    |   \    |
   |            /       |              /       |    |    `-BSDI 3.0
FreeBSD 2.0 <--'        |         FreeBSD 3.0  |    |        |
   |                     \               NetBSD 1.3 |        v
FreeBSD 2.0.5             \                   OpenBSD 2.3
   |                       \
   |                        \
FreeBSD 2.1                  |
 |   |                    NetBSD 1.1 ------.
 | FreeBSD 2.1.5             |              \
 |     |                  NetBSD 1.2         \
 | FreeBSD 2.1.6             |  \          OpenBSD 2.0
 |     |                     |   \             |
 | FreeBSD 2.1.6.1           |    \            |
 |     |                     |     \           |
 | FreeBSD 2.1.7             |      |          |
 |     |                     |  NetBSD 1.2.1   |
 | FreeBSD 2.1.7.1           |                 |
 |                           |                 |
 |                           |                 |
 *-FreeBSD 2.2               |                 |
 |        \                  |                 |
 |     FreeBSD 2.2.1         |                 |
 |         |                 |                 |
 |     FreeBSD 2.2.2         |             OpenBSD 2.1
 |         |              NetBSD 1.3           |
 |     FreeBSD 2.2.5         |   \             |
 |         |                 | NetBSD 1.3.1  OpenBSD 2.2
 |         v                 |    |            |
 |     FreeBSD 2.2.6         |    |          OpenBSD 2.3
 |         |                 | NetBSD 1.3.2    |
 |         v                 |    |            |
 |     FreeBSD 2.2.7         |    |            |
 |         |                 |    |            |
 |         v                 |    |            |
 |     FreeBSD 2.2.8         |    |            |
 |                           |    |            |
 |                           |    |        OpenBSD 2.4
FreeBSD 3.0                  |    |            |
 |                           | NetBSD 1.3.3    |
 *---FreeBSD 3.1             |                 |
 |       |                   |                 |
 |   FreeBSD 3.2          NetBSD 1.4       OpenBSD 2.5
 |       |                   |    |            |
 |   FreeBSD 3.3             | NetBSD 1.4.1    |
 |       |                   |             OpenBSD 2.6
 |   FreeBSD 3.4             |                 |
FreeBSD 4.0  |               |                 |
 |           |            NetBSD -current  OpenBSD -current
 |   FreeBSD 3.5             |                 |
 |                           v                 v
 *---FreeBSD 4.1

FreeBSD 5.0-current

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org