Re: Encapsulation X25 over IP

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 18:22:59 +1000  Philip Smith wrote:
> If your upstream refuses to give you address space even if you can justify
> it, you have two courses of action. As you observed, Guinea comes in under
> the RIPE NCC region - so apply to become a Local Internet Registry and you
> will receive your own address space to work with as you require. The second
> course of action you have is to change your upstream ISP (harder to do, but
> you after all are the customer, and they should pay attention to your
> requirements).

In addition to Philip's excellent answer, I should add that frequently,
these kind of problems exist because people do not know or understand
the requirements needed to motivate additional IP address space;
'I need more space' indeed will get you nowhere, while a well-motivated
case, with addressing plan et cetera, should make you a much better case.

Even if you are currently not a Local Internet Registry yourself, I'd
recommend to download and study the local registry documentation,
and then file a request for space according to these documents.
This will include an addressing plan, documentation on how currently
assigned address space is utilized, and how you plan to utilize
the additional address space.

See
* http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/mem-services/registration/index.html
* ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-185.txt
* ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-141.txt
* ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-142.txt
(don't send the request to the RIPE NCC unless you are a LIR yourself -
send to your upstream ISP instead)

If the request still fails, then you already studied the documents
to become a local registry ;-).

>From personal experience - I used to work for the RIPE NCC a few years ago,
I know that many 'denied' IP address space requests are motivated very
poorly.

Hope this helps,

Geert Jan de Groot
(speaking about, but not on behalf of, the RIPE NCC)

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org