Re: Qmail-- Exim

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 01:08:49PM +0300, Sematimba Noah K wrote:
> I think it is mroe of an organisational issue rather than functionality.
> He wanted to have different files for translation of users he considers
> local and a different one for his clients or something like that.
> So I guess this can be done in one file but if he wants to retain his
> organisational structure is it still possible for him to do this with
> exim?

Yes of course - you can have as many directors/routers as you like, each
looking things up in different database files. If one doesn't match, it will
skip through to the next one.

From my point of view, I'm trying to determine what functionality he would
ideally _want_ when transitioning from sendmail.

One of the strange things about virtusertable in sendmail, I think, is that
the user ends up with multiple addresses in other people's domains. To take
this example:

user1 at customer.com        customerisp1

If I understand rightly, 'customer.com' has to go in sendmail.cw. As a
result, the customer can also receive mail as <customerisp1 at customer.com>,
<customerisp1 at mailserver.isp.net> and in fact
<customerisp1 at any-domain-in-sendmail.cw>

This is perhaps not wanted, and it can be handled much more cleanly in exim.

On the other hand, there may be other domains which _are_ synonymous for the
mailserver itself, i.e. fred at domain1 and fred at domain2 _should_ be delivered
to mailbox 'fred' on the local machine, which was the original intention for
sendmail.cw

So in the general case, you might want to implement it in Exim using some
tables like this:

local_domains    lists domains which are aliases for the local host,
                 such that <user> at domain is delivered to local a/c <user>
                 for all values of <user>

virtual_domains  lists domains which are in the virtual alias table, e.g.
                   customer.com
                   example.com
virtual_aliases  lists mapping from addresses to local accounts, e.g.
                   user1 at customer.com      customerisp1
                   * at example.com           customerisp2

I think that would give all the flexibility needed to match the sendmail
functionality required, and do it more cleanly.

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org