Re: Qmail-- Exim

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 01:52:19AM -0700, Brian Longwe wrote:
> the order in which mail is handled is as follows:
>
> 1) first, incoming mail is checked against domains listed in the
> 'mailertable'; matches are passed on, failures are rejected
> 2) next addresses matching entries in the virtusertable are
> delivered, addresses that miss are passed on, if the address had
> nbi.ispkenya.com as the domin but the user is not listed in the
> virtusertable, then the mail is rejected with a 'user unknown'

nbi.ispkenya.com is your own domain, is it not? But your example showed
other domains on the left-hand side of both virtusertable and sendmail.db.

> 3) remaining addresses are matched against the sendmail.db, if there
> is a match, the message is delivered, if not, the mail is rejected
> with a 'user unknown'
>
> In terms of organisation, the virtusertable has *only* entries with domain
> as nbi.ispkenya.com.
>
> the sendmail.db has entries for all other domains
> for an entry in the sendmail.db to work it *must* have an entry in the
> virtusertable (with the local domain nbi.ispkenya.com)

Bleurgh. Start again. Can you trace a single E-mail delivery through
virtusertable and sendmail.db please?

> 'virtual Domains' are all done in the sendmail.db; this part  is not done
> by the automated system. One of my sysadmins is notified by the operations
> staff that a certain cusomter has subscribed for multiple 'domain-based'
> emails, the list of local accounts (nbi.ispkenya.com) associated iwth the
> customer is attached- the dmain name is also given. The sysadmin then
> editss the sendmail.db and  and puts in the entries e.g.:
>
> user1 at customerdomain.com			user1
> user2 at customerdomain.com			user2
>
> the right hand side delivery will not work *unless* a corresponding entry
> has been made in the virtusertable (because this is how accounts are
> automatically put into the /etc/passwd)

Err, so it won't deliver to local mailbox 'user1' unless an entry has been
put in virtusertable? So what format does that entry take?

user1:          user1  ?

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org