Re: router on a PC

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 02:20:29AM -0700, Rolf MOLUH wrote:
> in the meantime I need to configure a  PC as a router.
> I remember we have been told that it is not an
> efficient solution. But I temporaly need it. Is there
> any free package which could help me do this. Any
> tips?
> I am running RH Linux7.

A PC actually makes a pretty high-performance router, as these days they
have much more powerful CPUs than most small routers. Make sure you choose a
couple of good-quality 10/100M PCI ethernet cards - i.e. almost anything
except an NE2000 clone. Intel EtherExpress Pro cards work well.

FreeBSD and Linux will both forward packets quite happily.

Hardware routers score on reliability, types of interfaces available, and on
good implementation of routing protocols (you don't want to mess around with
'gated' on a PC if you can avoid it)

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org