Re: Exim

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 01:24:49PM +0000, Eric Stevance wrote:
> Do you have any advice for a mail system to move all big mails (parameter =
> size of the mail) to be sent at a certain time of the day? This will help
> to manage the few bandwidth that we have here in Mali at least to go out.
> Because big mail, even 1Mo and more can get lots of timeout and waste
> bandwitdth by retrying to send mails, when it does not work until the end
> of the day.

Interesting question. It may be possible to do this entirely within Exim,
but perhaps the easiest way is to use a queryprogram router, something like
this:

delay_large:
  driver = queryprogram
  condition = ${if >{$message_size}{1000000}{1}{0}}
  command = /usr/local/bin/checktime
  no_verify

This would go as the first router in your config file.

The script 'checktime' should output "DEFER" if it is during peak time and
the message should be held, otherwise "DECLINE" which tells exim to skip
this router and move onto the next one, thus allowing the mail to be
delivered.

queryprogram is an expensive router because it forks off a separate program,
but since it will only be called for messages bigger than 1M I don't think
this is a major issue.

Philip, will this work, and/or do you have any better methods?

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org