forwarded msg

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:08:40 -0700
To: Brian Longwe <cto at nbi.ispkenya.com>
From: Barbara Fraser <byfraser at cisco.com>
Subject: Re: NIMDA Horror
Cc: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>, bgreene at cisco.com, blongwe at psg.com,
         gagbey at ghana.com, afnog at afnog.org, byf at cisco.com

I'd like to emphasize what Barry was saying. The FIRST (Forum of Incident
community shares and confers with each other as soon as a threat is
discovered. Information is shared as knowledge about the nature of the
threat, fixes, and workarounds is evolving. Official advisories go out once
there is a set of information ready for consumption. This means there will
always be a delay between the time something is discovered and the time
when information can be well-written, tested, and then distributed. All of
this means you need to be connected to the inside information which you get
by having an established CERT team and association with the FIRST
community. And as also mentioned, operations lists will generally provide
similar early information.

The list of incident response teams that are members of FIRST can be found
at www.first.org. I'm not aware of any teams on the continent of Africa but
it sure seems it's time to change that :-).  Perhaps at the next AFNOG
meeting, there would be time for a presentation on response teams and a BoF
for folks interested in setting one up. Just a thought.

Barb

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org