Re: Internet routing in South Africa

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, I wrote:

> Has anyone any information about Internet routing problems in South
> Africa?  I have found that some mail is taking several days to reach
> Zimbabwe from there, and that it is impossible to access certain web
> sites, eg www.is.co.za and www.sn.apc.org.

I am pleased to report that starting from 15:15 GMT today, the situation
has suddenly returned to normal as far as MANGO and our upstream service
provider (Zimbabwe Online) are concerned.  I have since heard second-hand
reports that something like 20% of South Africa's Internet bandwidth was
routed via the World Trade Centre, and that the destruction of those
buildings caused massive connectivity problems.

I would still be interested to hear of any detailed writeup of the
problems.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org