Re: ip theft!!

Bill,

I guess that the problem is not setting up a DHCP, because a malicious users do not need to have the address assigned to his card. He could set it manually, what I mean't was that the official DHCP will have the trusted pair (MAC/IP) and only a user with this trusted pair can open a route in the IPlogin auth machine. However if some malicious user is good enough to fake a MAC address, and this can be done with some not BIG effort, then he could listed to the air/wire interface, steal a valid MAC/IP address, recompile his code, and then attempt to pass though the IPlogin machine. This would mean off course that he has enough knowledge to authenticate himself in the IPlogin machine.

a./

Bill Sangiwa wrote:
Pine.LNX.4.33.0202081356230.22173-100000 at twiga.twiga.com">
a./

u're correct (u can't control what user does with his/her machine), BUT
this is another options if your wireless bridge do not support blocking
ip's, if it does (some do!) then you may as well use it, use of DHCP in
some cases users go ahead and have their own DHCP running on their LAN (no
crime done!), if they can listen to your's (DHCP), surely will be able
pass their DHCP broadcasts to other users too! i've seen several
installation of M$2000 with DHCP enabled and users have no idea at all it
is on!!

Bill