Re: IXP hardware

> Each ISP would bring his own router, preferrably something that
> can carry a full routing table but you might be able to get started
> with 2500-style boxes if there are only a few routes to swap.

actually, we recommend that, in almost all circumstances at these smaller
country exchanges, an isp need not carry full tables anywhere.  they only
need three sets of routes,
  o their own internal routes,
  o the routes they learn from peers at the exchange, which usually
    total O(100), and
  o a default pointing to their upstream

of course, they only announce the former, their internal routes, to their
peers at the exchange and to their upstream.

it is when an isp gets multiple full upstreams that they will need to
carry large routing tables.

> A pile of 2600's with a hub will be a fine starting point.

we strongly recommend a switch, not a hub.  if it is a hub, then isp
C can look at the traffic between isps A and B.

> Experience has learned that a shared, level3 device in the middle
> is a mistake.

indeed

> [People will argument that a hub allows sniffing. Sniffing on a router
> is difficult and besides, I assume the IXP will be occupied by adults]

i guess you have not been at an ix since the good old days. sigh :-(

btw, nsrc has been known to arrange switches to be donated to exchange
points.  at the moment, courtesy of cisco, we can also arrange donation
of a few cisco 4xxx routers, but only to schools and other non-commercial
users.

randy

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org