RE: IXP hardware

Hello,

You're going to get a mix of answer, and might get confused from them. It
essentially boils down to three models of Layer 2 peering:

+ Meshed Peer to Peer - Each ISP brings their own routers, connects over an
ethernet switch, and has a BGP peering session with each IXP participant.
This model pushes the work to each of the IXP participants. This is the most
common model.

+ Route Reflector (RR) Peering - Each ISP brings their own router, connects
over an ethernet switch, and has one BGP peering session with the IXP's
Route Reflector ( a router on the IXP). Traffic does not go through the
Route Reflector, only the BGP traffic. This model allows for routers as
small as a Cisco 1600M to be used by the ISP members. It allows a kick start
to an IXP on a budget. Most RR IXPs migrate to Meshed Peer to Peer or the
Router Server models.

+ Route Server Peering -  Each ISP brings their own router, connects over an
ethernet switch, and has one BGP peering session with the IXP's Route Server
(a Unix box on the ISP). Traffic does not go through the route server, only
the BGP traffic. This model is used by some of the big IXPs in the US.

Note 1 - all three of these IXP models are _layer 2_ IXPs (usually using
some form of ethernet).

Note 2 - all three of these IXPs models require the ISP to get an AS number,
bring their own router to the IXP, get their own connection to the IXP, and
most likely join a RIR to get their own IP allocations.

Note 3 - all three of these IXP models work and scale.

Note 4 - engineering preference plays the big factor into which model a
specific IXP uses.

If you would like some reading or visuals, down load the IXP material from
the following URL:

	http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/ixp/

Barry

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org