Re: IXP hardware

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 10:28:52AM -0800,
 Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene at cisco.com> wrote
 a message of 69 lines which said:

> and CPU power you'll need. An IXP in Mozambique is not an IXP in the US or
> Europe where you have 7XXXs, 12XXXs, M40s, or M20s. Those have plenty of
> memory and horsepower to handle the load of +50 peers.

Good lord! A Cisco 7xxx just to manage 50 BGP peers? We can have much
more with any PC (and software like Zebra <URL:http://www.zebra.org/>),
for 10 % of the cost and the security of a platform where spare parts
are easy/cheap to find.

If you setup a route server (or any router but it is even clearer for
a RS), use a PC with a free Unix.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org