Re: IXP BGP routing

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:02:25PM +0200, antonio at nambu.uem.mz wrote:
> I guess one of the reasons the ISP's under TDM (telco) will and are
> connecting to the IXP is that they will have a link that carries the local
> traffic and one that carries international traffic. This may seem
> unecessary but when telco provides 64K and 128K links to the ISP's
> it kind of becomes a need. The local and international traffic from the
> provider to the telco are taking one link and saturating it. When the
> telco decides to connect to IXP I guess the ISP will just use local
> preference to choose the IXP link for local traffic.

I agree that the tier 2 providers will want to peer with each other.

I still think it's unlikely that a tier 1 will want to peer with a tier 2.
Looking at my previous diagram, ISP 1 has a single link to the IXP; so
whether their traffic goes ISP1 -> IX -> TDM -> ISP5 or
ISP1 -> IX -> ISP5 makes no difference to ISP1.

I suppose if TDM has a low-bandwidth link to the IXP then ISP1 might want to
peer directly with ISP5. This is roughly the same situation as if TDM was
not connected to the IXP at all.

Local bandwidth should be much cheaper than International - there is little
excuse for having insufficient connectivity to a local exchange point.

B.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org