Re: firewall configuration on a router

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 03:44:30PM +0000, Sewa AGBODJAN wrote:
> I'm a very new user to freebsd. I have discover it during afnog
> workshop (track1) and i think it is very cool stuff and more simple than
> Linux redhat which I'am very close to. For now i want to
> know how to reload /etc/rc.firewall rule without rebooting the PC.
> I guess i can chmod it to 755 and run it manualy but i think it should
> have a command line doing it. Am i wrong?

Actually, you can run it using the '.' shell command which means 'read this
file as if it were being typed into the shell', i.e.

    . /etc/rc.firewall

If you look in /etc/rc.network you'll see this is how the script is invoked
at boot time.

This is one thing which is still awkward in FreeBSD: the commands for
changing stuff on a 'live' system and the changes to rc scripts for them to
remain effective after a next reboot are completely different. Inexperienced
sysadmins are liable to change one without the other. Since FreeBSD boxes
need to be rebooted so infrequently, it may be months or years before you
discover problems in the rc.conf settings!

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org