Re: FreeBSD! - startX

On Tue 2002-06-25 (10:05), Tolu Oguntimehin wrote:
> Please I need to solve this problem.  After installing
> FreeBSD and some packages - I cannot run startX and
> gives the following error when I type startX at the
> root:
>
> execve failed for /usr/x11R6/bin/X (errono 2)
> _X11TransSocketUNIX Connet: can't connet: errorno2
> _X11TransSocketUNIX Connet: can't connet: errorno2
> _X11TransSocketUNIX Connet: can't connet: errorno2
> _X11TransSocketUNIX Connet: can't connet: errorno2
> _X11TransSocketUNIX Connet: can't connet: errorno2
> _X11TransSocketUNIX Connet: can't connet: errorno2
> giving up
> Xinit: No such file or directory (errorno 2): Unable
> to connet to Xserver
> Xinit: No such process ( errorno 3): server error
>
> What should I do?

First, check what version of X you have.  If you're using FreeBSD 4.6,
then it will most probably be X 4.2.0, before that X 3.3.6 unless you
build X from ports.

Check to see if /usr/X11R6/bin/X exists.  I imagine it doesn't, or it's
a symlink to a file that doesn't exist.

If you're using X 4.2.0, it's installed as a symlink in the
XFree86-Server package, to XFree86.  If you have the Xwrapper package
installed (you'll need it if you want to use startx), it installs
Xwrapper-4, which X is a symlink to.

If you're using 3.3.6, it's a symlink to one of a few X servers, like
XF86_SVGA.

I'm not sure if that's enough to help you through the problem, but
hopefully it'll help.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner