Re: Laptop problems (was: Anyone can help)

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:09:07 +0200  "Americo F. Muchanga" wrote:
> Anyone knows where  i can buy watercooling system for laptops? I know
> the water cooling system for desktops but i am not sure if you can by
> one for laptops.

First, I would just return the laptop to Dell and complain, and
let them fix it.

If that's unfeasible, you may want to take the laptoy apart (careful!
use antistatic equipment) and make sure that CPU cooling, if any,
is properly attached. It's likely that they swapped the motherboard,
and perhaps something didn't get attached right on re-assembly
of the laptop.
To swap the mobo, they had to take out the CPU.
To take out the CPU, they had to take out the cooling mechanics.
Did you say you suspect cooling problems?

But again, if you have the chance to return it, return it.
Most manufacturers re-cycle easy-repairable motherboards (after
they're fixed in special repair centers), and use them as swap
parts for future repairs (like yours). Sometimes, these boards
test fine at the repair center but fail in the field and they'll
just need to swap it out again, hopefully for a working one
this time.
I know that another manufacturer tracks it's spare parts: if a part
with a serial number would circle through the swap circus three times,
they would always junk it (to cancel out difficult-to-find problems).

Contact Dell and tell them the first repair didn't work.
Most swap failities have dedicated people for hard cases,
which can take more than the 15 minutes which are alotted for
a simple mobo swap. You want to make sure an experienced tech
(not a swap monkey) looks at it before sending it back.

There's a reason manufacturers pur warranty on their repairs,

Geert Jan

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org