Re: Migrating from Sendmail to Exim

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 12:15:00PM +0000, Godfred Ofori-Som wrote:
> > I am trying to migrate from sendmail to exim and wanted to know what will
> > happen to mails in sendmail queue. Would exim automatically send them or i
> > have to do some configuration.
> > How will i configure exim to use sendmail's queue directory.
>
> You can't. What you have to do is run sendmail from time to time with the
> '-q' flag until it finishes delivering all the mails from its queue (this
> may take several days if some of the remote hosts are down). Meanwhile, the
> exim process will receive all incoming mail and store it in exim's own queue
> directory, in its own format.

Actually, if you do the migration of binaries as per Brian's post), you
only need to change the old sendmail.cf to define the new exim
installation as a SmartHost in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf (eg: DSlocalhost).

Then you will only need to run 'sendmail.old -q' once to flush all the
mails from sendmail to exim.

This assumes that exim is listening on port 25 on the same host.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security