Re: POP3 Downloads

My guess is that your MTA is Sendmail or an mbox format MTA and your OS is
unix based e.g linux or freebsd. In that case you will need to change to a
MTA that supports maildir delivery format e.g exim or qmail.

An mbox format MTA appends all incoming mails to a single file. When
downloads are incomplete, subsequent downloads usually starts again
from the beginning of the file. Whereas a maildir format MTA saves each
mail as an individual file in your mailbox directory so that when
downloads are incomplete, it only needs to deliver the remaining files
left in your mailbox directory.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Ayitey Bulley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.
>
> Lets say I am a dial-in subscriber to an ISP. I have connected to the ISP to
> download my mail. In the middle of downloading the mail (say 20 of 200
> messages), the link breaks.
>
> I reconnect to download my mail, it starts from message 1 again.
>
> I am looking for a solution where mail downloaded will not be downloaded
> again i.e. messages successfully received are removed from the server and
> not downloaded again.
>
> --Ayitey
>

> -----
> This is the afnog mailing list, managed by Majordomo 1.94.5
>
> To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
> To send a request to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put
> your request in the body of the message (i.e use "help" for help)
>
> This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org

Bolanle Akinpelu
General Data Engineering Services Ltd.
18b Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan.