Re: bsdi - redhat 7.3

> would you be knowing how to convert bsdi (/etc/passwd) password file for
> use with linux redhat 7.3 in a case whereby the bsdi was not using the
> shadow password (/etc/shadow) while the redhat is supposed to ?

For the record, AFAIK there never has been a release of BSD/OS
that did not support shadow passwords, as shadow passwords
was a feature of 4.3BSD on wich the early BSD/OS releases were based.

In addition to Brian's comments, BSD/OS doesn't support MD5 password
encryption so you're safe there.
However, we use a different scheme for 'wide passwords',
which are longer than 8 characters.
For normal short ones, we use the 'standard' crypt().

You should consider whether you still need regular passwords,
or better authentication mechanisms. In many cases there are
better alternatives now.

Geert Jan

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org