Re: Java Virtual Machine

On Wed 2002-09-18 (09:42), Mensah K. Agbessitse wrote:
> I would like to build a Chat Server on FreeBSD 4.5. The software I am using
> if from digichat. My problem is how to build the FreeBSD box to behave as
> Java Virtual Machine(JVM). I mean the right jre or jdk version for FreeBSD
> 4.5.

There are various options for running Java on FreeBSD.  You can use
either linux compatibility JVMs or native JVMs.

Java versions 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 are available in native JVMs.  I'd
recommend the 1.3 JVM, as this is the one that is most used and most
developed and mature.  One thing to mention is that you will need a
Linux compatibility JVM to boot-strap the native JVM build.

Linux compatibility provides Sun, Blackdown, and IBM JVMs.  I've used
the Sun 1.3 JVMs quite a bit, so I would recommend it.

Don't worry too much about using Linux compatibility - it's very solid.
It does mean installing the Linux compatibility port in
/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base, though.

All the JVMs are available in the ports tree, in the 'java' category.
My advice is to test at least linux compatibility Sun 1.3 JVM and native
1.3 JVM if you have time for testing, or use Linux compatibility Sun 1.3
JVM if you are pressed for time.

Hoping this helps,

Neil
--