Re: Blocking MSN Messanger ports

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:12:49PM +0300, Patrick J Okui wrote:
> > IMO, the trouble with all this is you are trying to provide a _technical_
> > solution to a _policy_ problem.
> <snip>
>
> Very true, but it is rather hard to explain when a client requests the
> service and knows just enough about ports and firewalls to insist that
> it be done on the gateway box :-( ... you know what they say about
> little knowledge ;-)

Well the saying goes that "the customer is always right", but I doubt you
have solved whatever underlying problem is that they have.

For example, if the problem is that their staff are abusing the Internet
connection, then there are many other ways they can abuse it other than this
one, so you are going to be on for an infinite game of hunt-the-port. The
solution IMO is for them to write a clear Computer Use Policy, communicate
it to their staff, and incorporate it within their disciplinary process.

B.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org