Re: Blocking MSN Messanger ports

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:15:58 +0300 (EAT)
"Begumisa Gerald M." <beg_g at eahd.or.ug> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Badru Ntege wrote:
>
> > I like the registry option, can this be built into a users logon
> > profile?
>
> Yes, I suppose this should be possible by modifying the logon script for
> that user (I know this is possible in windows NT).  I have not done it
> before but there should be some tools that enable the registry to be
> edited using a batch script.  Someone may perhaps have an idea?

My one caution on "auto-editing" the registry is that this invites the
possibility of crashing the user's machine when the script is run.
Microsoft always warns a user to have their data fully backed up before
making changes to either registry (user or system). The reason for this is
that it's unpredictable when edited, particularly if the user has made
changes on their own. In addition, this can become a legacy problem over
time as user's upgrade machines. Finally, your script must account for all
the flavors of Windows and where the correct registry keys reside for each
version, _and_ it should not do anything if it doesn't recognize the
Windows version as Microsoft is constantly moving registry values between
Windows versions.
	Personally I would stay away from this approach if possible.

Sincerely,
	- Hervey Allen

Hervey Allen
Technical Consultant