Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:50:30 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
From: Mark Crispin <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU>
To: Begumisa Gerald M <beg_g at eahd.or.ug>
Subject: Re: rfc822_base64()

Thank you very much for your message and your kind words.

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Begumisa Gerald M wrote:
> Possible data truncation in rfc822_base64()

As you discovered, this problem arises when text is appended to a
BASE64-encoded single-section message e.g by a mailing list processor.
There is only a 67% chance that the problem will even be discovered; 33%
of the time, it's undetected.

> The problem is that this message never disappears from the screen and I
> cannot carry out any actions in pine apart from reading mail.  I request
> your advice on what should be done to go about this problem.

That is, indeed, a known bug in Pine 4.50.  It is fixed in the latest
version, Pine 4.52, which is available from:
	ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/pine

What happened is that that warning was issued for each extraneous
character in the message, along with a delay between each warning.

The correct behavior, which is in Pine 4.52, is to issue the warning only
once.

I regret that this means that you'll have to download a large file over
your slow link from Africa.  Fortunately, since you have a Linux system
you have gzip, so you can download the pine.tar.gz file, which is only
3.7MB (as opposed to the 5.7MB traditional "compress" file).  If you have
bzip2, then you can download the pine.tar.bz2 which is only 2.8MB.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org