RE: Mounting Reiser_FS

SuSE Linux 8.1 comes with kernel 2.4.19. Although SuSE has an update for the
kernel on their FTP server, the shipped version does have the Reiserfs
module compiled into it.

What you need to to do, while installing SuSE, is format your file system
for Reiserfs. Since the kernel already has the module, you will boot that
file system with no problems. But remember, it's a kernel module that needs
to be added into the INITRD image, so it can be loaded before the file
systems.

If you're upgrading your kernel, simply do that and run mk_initrd. SuSE
takes of adding the Reiserfs module loader into the configuration files
stored in /etc/sysconfig. Once you run mk_initrd, you should see all your
modules being loading into the INITRD boot image. This includes your SCSI
controller drivers, as well as Reiserfs.

A reboot should then be issued and you're home free.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer
Africa Online Uganda