Re: BGP over satellite link

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 08:19:34PM +0100,
 Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> wrote
 a message of 58 lines which said:

> Until AfriNIC takes off you will probably need to join RIPE or ARIN. Last
> time I looked, RIPE's membership fee was around 2,000 Euros per year. For
> that you get your own PI netblock (probably a /20)

No, not "for that". Paying (and therefore becoming a member of RIPE)
is not sufficient to obtain a /20, you will have to demonstrate that
you need it, it is not automatic. Reading messages from "Joe Joe", it
will be quite difficult to him :-)

http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/new-mem/flowchart2text.html
http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/faq/new_lir/qa2.html#1

> I will warn you now, from personal experience, that balancing incoming
> traffic between two links to two different providers is extremely difficult.
> You should expect only a very coarse degree of control.

I agree 100 %.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org