Re: BGP over satellite link

> Your asymmetrical DVB link sounds interesting, I've heard this technology
> mentioned before on this list but with few details of how it works in
> practice.

This type of config is quite common here in Africa - where we are still
relegated to using satellite for upstream connectivity.

Basically the central site provides all of the upstream requests via SCPC
while the return route is via DVB and can be distributed  across many
different sites. It is an economical way of providing  service to distant
POPs - while paying for a minimal terestrial link to handle the outgoing
requests.

Control over the BGP allows the ISP to choose how return traffic is
hanlded (and maybe even set up backup routes if a sites DVB goes down).

Longwe

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org