From: Brian Candler [mailto:B.Candler at pobox.com]
Sent: 07 April 2003 12:57
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Cc: Joe Joe; afnog at afnog.org
Subject: Re: BGP over satellite link

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:30:25AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> * use of a ridiculous pseudonym (specially combined with the use of a
> Yahoo account, while you are supposed to be a big organization since
> you need BGP),

Whilst I agree in principle with what you say Stephane, I would be inclined
to give the benefit of the doubt here, in the interests of fostering the
AfNOG community. Other people are going to be wary of asking questions, or
hide their identities, if they think they are going to get stomped on.

I know that many people in Africa use Yahoo/Hotmail simply because either
their ISP's mail server is not reliable enough, or because they need access
when roaming and their ISP doesn't provide webmail. Sure, this guy says he
works at an ISP, but if he does networks rather than services he's probably
not going to be able to fix the mail service. Or the suits may have told him
to install an Exchange server, in which case it's not fixable at all :-)

Joe Joe: you should be aware that we *know* your IP address anyway, it's in
the headers of the mails you sent. We're all techies on this list, so let's
stick with technical business and forget about the politics...

Your asymmetrical DVB link sounds interesting, I've heard this technology
mentioned before on this list but with few details of how it works in
practice.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org