Re: BGP over satellite link

> Contrary to popular opinion, you don't need lots of RAM to run BGP. The
> chances are "entry router" above has more than enough horsepower to
> announce local nets to "upstream router" and to learn a default using
> BGP. A cisco 2501 with the minimum amount of RAM necessary to load an
> IP image will do just fine.

This is v. true - but almost always a fact that you find on the ground is
that the ISP's 2501 router:
1) Doesn't have BGP capable IOS
2) Doesn't have enough Flash RAM to install a BGP capable IOS
3) Buying a Flash RAM upgrade is complicated and time consuming

This has been such a major problem that some of us have been making
arrangements to keep stocks of Flash RAM handy to help out in such
situations.

Having said that I'm running a 2500 router (8Flash/16DRAM)at KIXP
exchanging traffic with 10 peers - the box has silently pushed packets v. efficiently for 1 1/2
yrs now with no sign of overload.

Obviously if the router is being used to peer with an upstream provider it
may be necessary to take a subset of routes rather than full routes due to
RAM constraints.

Another low cost, router option is the Mikrotik RouterOS with relevant
serial cards to terminate line. IT has BGP/OSPF support and a solution
using normal PC hardware can be had for around $400-500. The nice part
about it is you can also combine a wireless NIC into the equation for
backhaul if your backbone is running wireless, presently 802.1b si
supported with 5.xGHz support as well.
Rgds,

Brian

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org