Re: Kernel patching

I'll give one minor warning on RPM-based (and dpackage as well in theory)
upgrades of kernels...

If you have downloaded kernel source and done work on compiling modules,
creating specific config files, etc. in /usr/src/linux (usually a logical
link to /usr/src/linux-2.x.x where 'x.x' is your kernel version), then I
recommend backing up this directory structure somewhere before installing
a new kernel RPM.

Kernel RPMs may either overwrite what you have, or simply remove your
/usr/src/linux directory entirely - that happened to me once, and the RPM
kernel patch did not work, but my carefully created '.config' file
was now gone as the RPM author had decided removing /usr/src/linux made
sense (even though the RPM did not install new source!). This was an
"official" kernel RPM from my distro's web site.

In the end I could rebuild what I had because I had created a backup
bootable kernel to use with grub/lilo just in case the kernel RPM left me
with an unusable kernel. Thus, I could download source again, recreate my
kernel as I had it, and get everything working.

Luckily I was at home sick and had a spare day to recover from my install
;-)

Good luck.

Sincerely,
	- Hervey Allen