7 Kampala Rd,
Tel:   +256-41-258143
Fax:   +256-41-258144
E-mail: mtinka at africaonline.co.ug
Web:     www.africaonline.co.ug

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-afnog at afnog.org [mailto:owner-afnog at afnog.org] On Behalf Of
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 11:18 PM
To: pademmy at yahoo.com
Cc: afnog at afnog.org
Subject: Re: Network utility tools

I use SpamAssassin <URL:http://www.spamassassin.org/> and am happy with it.

> And what network utility tools can I use to know the IP address on my
> client system - let say their server with a global IP address i.e the
> IP address I gave them. let assume I forget the IP address and I want
> to  get the actual IP address on their server system from my end.?

It is not very clear. You are an Internet provider, you lend IP addresses to

customers and you forget them? If so, the best solution is to ask to the
customer (and to hope they will not switch to a less forgetful provider).
But
the IP addresses of your customers are probably available in many places.
DNS
zone files are a good example. Describe your setup and the kind of services
you provide and I will have other ideas.

> beside, how do I detect people that are u sing my service without my
> knowledge
> may be just becos they have my network parameters one or the other i.e
sniffers
> on my network?

This question should be detailed. What sort of services do you provide? For
instance, if you provide dial-up access, knowing your "network parameters"
(phone number, typically, the rest being sent by PPP/IPCP) is not
sufficient: people will need the login and password.

Regarding sniffers, well, they are a fact of life. You can take precautions
to avoid them (locking the rooms) or to make them almost useless (SSH).

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
To send a request to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put your
request in the body of the message (i.e use "help" for help)

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org