Re: BGP over satellite link - update!!

On Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003, at 20:02 Canada/Eastern, Geoff Huston wrote:

> And here is where eBGP shines - a dead satellite circuit leads to BGP
> keepalive failure, leads to the feeder router dropping its eBGP session
> to the receiver router, leads to the feeder router dropping its
> of reachable networks to the world at large, causing your traffic to
> be sent
> to you by less preferred backup paths (if such backup routes exist).

Yeah, that would have been cleaner than what I did.

The complication with our setup was that we were policy-routing traffic
back to New Zealand according to traffic type -- we were sending stuff
with low latency requirements back over the E1s, and more bulk traffic
back over the satellite, so there really was no general "less preferred
backup path". There were reasons for doing this, although quite
arguably not very good ones.

Like I said, nightmares.

Joe

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org