Re: Removal of IP

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:40:26AM +0100, Sunday Folayan wrote:
> They spam using http not smtp. smtp is blocked, but you cannot do that for
> http. They don't send one, they have programs that send thousands within
> an hour, just changing recipient addresses.

ISTM that the fundamental problem is: if someone comes to you (maybe the
police) and asks "who was using IP address X at time Y" it seems you have no
way to bind the identity of the individual to that IP address.

I'm not a user of cybercafes, but I've never seen one where you can plug in
your own laptop, pay cash, and then vanish without trace.

It would seem to me a reasonable policy that cybercafes should require
identification from customers who plug in their own laptops. For example,
you could bring in your identity documents the first time, and then be
issued with a 'membership card'. If you want to browse the web without
becoming a member then you have to use one of the cybercafe's own computers
(which are suitably locked-down to stop you installing your own software)

Perhaps a similar situation is a video/DVD rental shop, where you have to
become a member before you can hire videos.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org