Re: Removal of IP

Brian,

We have over 200 Cybercafes subscribed to our wireless network. All have a
public IP each. ALL of them run NAT and have between 4 and 40 computers in
their cafes, NATed to the public IP. We know the cafe where the spam
originated from (Based on the report of spamcop or any of the other
blacklists) What is not known is the computer within the cafe, where this
spam originated from, or who-dun-it.

Price war (Another real problem) has made it very difficult for most of
them to insist on membership, as the few patrons will go to where the
conditions are not that strict.

As a policy, we disable cafes that originate spams. 1 day for the first
incident, 2 days for the second, 7 days for the third. We cancel the
contract if there is a 4th incident. Some call it arrogance - we call it
business unusual.

As Fisayo and others have written in previous posts, it is not as easy as
it seems. Do you want a paid holiday to Nigeria? Not kidding. You may
learn a lot of things, or better still, teach us a number of things..

Sunday.

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Brian Candler wrote:

> Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:28:44 +0100
> From: Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com>
> To: Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at skannet.com.ng>
> Cc: afnog at afnog.org
> Subject: Re: Removal of IP
>
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:40:26AM +0100, Sunday Folayan wrote:
> > They spam using http not smtp. smtp is blocked, but you cannot do that for
> > http. They don't send one, they have programs that send thousands within
> > an hour, just changing recipient addresses.
>
> ISTM that the fundamental problem is: if someone comes to you (maybe the
> police) and asks "who was using IP address X at time Y" it seems you have no
> way to bind the identity of the individual to that IP address.
>
> I'm not a user of cybercafes, but I've never seen one where you can plug in
> your own laptop, pay cash, and then vanish without trace.
>
> It would seem to me a reasonable policy that cybercafes should require
> identification from customers who plug in their own laptops. For example,
> you could bring in your identity documents the first time, and then be
> issued with a 'membership card'. If you want to browse the web without
> becoming a member then you have to use one of the cybercafe's own computers
> (which are suitably locked-down to stop you installing your own software)
>
> Perhaps a similar situation is a video/DVD rental shop, where you have to
> become a member before you can hire videos.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.
>
> -----
> This is the afnog mailing list, managed by Majordomo 1.94.5
>
> To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
> To send a request to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put
> your request in the body of the message (i.e use "help" for help)
>
> This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org

Sunday A. Folayan
General Data Engineering Services Ltd [SKANNET]
18b, Oshin Rd, Kongi Bodija Ibadan, Nigeria
 Email:	sfolayan at skannet.com.ng
 Voice:	+234-2-8105156 Fax: +234-2-8105156x221
-------

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world;
We unreasonable ones persist in trying to adapt
the world to ourselves. therefore all progress
depends on us, the unreasonable people."
                         -- George Bernard Shaw

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org